Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Elements of a Story & Estimation!

So yesterday my class made their first estimation on the Halloween jar of candy that I brought to school! You can read the post about my Halloween estimation jars here! Would you believe that one of my students estimated the correct amount of Smarties in the jar?!? There were 53, and one of my sweet students estimated 53!! I wish I could have recorded his reaction when I said there were 53 packs of Smarties in the jar!! He literally jumped up and down and screamed, "I WON"!!! It was priceless! I am going to do these for Thanksgiving and Christmas too! The kids love it, and it is an inexpensive way to encourage math skills like estimation! I absolutely love my job! :) I can't wait to do the jar of Tootsie Rolls today and the jar of candy corn tomorrow! 

We are also studying elements of a story this week that will lead into the impact of characterization and conflict on plot later on in the week. Here is a graphic organizer (2 per page) that I created last night for my students to fill in during independent reading today. You can download it for FREE by clicking on the picture below! Hope everyone has an awesome day! :) 


1 comment:

  1. Your story about the student who guessed the correct amount of smarties is precious. Thanks for the freebie - I'm working on this too and know it will be put to good use in my classroom.

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete